When you’re thinking of getting the best out of QuickBooks software, you must know the newer the software you use, the better experience you get. With a recent version of the accounting software, you make all your work simple and smooth. Suppose, if you’re a small or mid-sized business owner and switching to the innovative accounts software, you’ll automatically have the most updated QuickBooks version. If you’re already a user, you should know how to update QuickBooks desktop version to the latest release whenever you release a new feature or a service.
The QuickBooks Developer Intuit launches the latest QuickBooks Desktop update after a set amount of time. With new updates, users are eager to try out new functionalities and features, update to current features, and some bugs fix. Thus, it is always suggested to update QuickBooks to 2021. Certain steps are involved for updating, which we later discuss in the article. Thus, further, we know how to update QuickBooks to the latest version to avail of the newest features.
A Few Perks To Update Desktop Version QuickBooks
People generally confuse updating QuickBooks desktop with upgrading to the software’s newest version. Intuit releases updates for many versions annually and often updates to the latest release offers with many benefits including:
- Allowing users to enjoy data security
- Furthermore, the option provides error-free knowledge for users
- Another great perk to updating the software is that it resolves challenges by a few common security bugs and loops.
Note: With the update, you get real-time tracking for status, better data file, and more.
Features Available With the latest Update Of QuickBooks Desktop?
At present, you can find the latest version in the software available for release. The recent update offers plenty of functionalities and features. Among all the exciting features offered a few most compelling ones are listed as follows:
RFA enhancement – in this new feature users won’t send any requests to the QuickBooks for second admin.
Bug fixes:- Other than the features, the user has quick fixes for the bugs after software update. Problems such as data level permission error while the user doesn’t create any transactions for the unpermitted customers from the entered transactions batch, or in the (=) or (>=1) report filter showing wrong. With the software update these problems are fixed. Moreover, with the software version you fix the problem seen when a vendor groups with higher than 0 credit balance, and shows the wrong outcomes.
Tax 1099 NEC and MISC:- It is a highly advanced feature where the QuickBooks software can support the 1099 NEC and MISC and for printing and E-filling. The feature can permit third-party applications for using the software developer kit to ensure proper e-filing.
Better User Management:- With this feature you manage user permission and roles as per the requirement. With this feature the admin further permits certain users to perform a specific activity.
Online banking improvements:- Here is another feature to let the users save column customization and make rules for both running money-out and money-in transactions. The users can assign customers in QuickBooks jobs for their expenses in the table banking transactions.
Inventory aging report:- It is another great feature that you see with important information about the quality, value, acquisition and age of your stocks. Users can ensure stock product details with this feature.
Process For Updating QuickBooks Desktop
It is possible to download the latest updates for QuickBooks desktop from the internet through various methods. You should ensure that your internet connection is good and quick. There are many available options for the same:
- Method to automatically update QuickBooks (in default settings)
- Update on demand
- Release download
- Manually updating
After you’ve downloaded the updates, QB also updates itself and begins to install all imperative files for the right location with the folders on the system. You also get a notification for installing updates, whenever you’re restarting the QuickBooks next time. You can close the QuickBooks and also restart the same for allowing updates. In such a case you can use multi-user mode for QuickBooks. Thus, it would be essential to install updates on the systems.
The method to install the QuickBooks update is simple. QuickBooks itself finds the newest version of QuickBooks from Intuit server. The updates are then automatically downloaded while you don’t work or are otherwise connected to the internet. The process happens due to a default setting in accounting software to enable the software to download updates automatically from server to the Intuit. However, you’ve got the choice of automatically updating when you don’t want to update the application.
Here are the steps to allow or disable the automatic update option:
- Open the QuickBooks software and visit the “Help menu”.
- Click on the option “Update QuickBooks” and wait for the option update QuickBooks window.
- Click on the tab “options”.
- Select the option “Yes” for enabling the Automatic update method or click on “No” for disabling Automatic Update Method. (Even when you’re disabling the option Automatic Update, you’ll get messages asking whether you want to use Update Service. The messages are reminders and don’t mean that the update is available or needed.
- Click the button “Save” and then Close.
When the above option does not work and you can’t download the update, it is best to move on to the next method, i.e., “Immediate Update Method.”
Immediate Update Method
This method can update you to download the QB update for the computer quickly from the intuit server. Also, it wouldn’t be mandatory to keep QuickBooks software open after you download updates. The method is used at any time and lets you immediately download the updates even when you turn on automatic updates. Also, make sure that you’re checking for updates at least once a month.
Process to check whether any update is available and install the same:
- Open the QuickBooks application and scroll to the “Help menu” option and click the option “Update QuickBooks”.
- Click on the tab “Update Now”.
- Choose the updates that you want to download and click on the option “Get Updates”. It is possible to find more about the update in the column updates. Tap on the link “Maintenance Releases” and you’ll see a new page with details about the “changes/improvements” in updates.
- Close and then restart QuickBooks software and you’ll see a window asking whether you’re thinking of installing the update at present or later. After finding the message, click on the button Install Now (or Yes) for installing the update.
- Restart the computer after completing the installation.
Note: It is vital to reinstall all the applicable updates from the earliest to the latest date of releases. When you don’t do it and reinstall QuickBooks, you can get problems opening company files. The file might also get corrupted and it wouldn’t open again.
QuickBooks Premier and QuickBooks Pro multi-user mode: Here is the method of downloading updates, when the company needs you to use the QB Pro or Premier in the multi-user mode, you can install updates on all systems. Connect the systems on the network and then download and install updates. Users can also download the update for QuickBooks desktop on a system on the network and share the same.
To share updates all users must follow the provided process:
- Open company file on shared QuickBooks
- Visit the “Help menu” and click on the option “Update QuickBooks”.
- Click on the button “Options”.
- Click on the option “Yes” to get the option Share Download.
- Now click on the button “Save”.
With the aforementioned steps, you can share downloaded updates on all the systems. Also, note that by default all updates are downloaded to the company file location after enabling the share option. When not, you’ll also find updates from the folder or directory where the QuickBooks software copy is installed.
Then you can install the new updates for the company file. Also remember that after updating the company file, you can access it through earlier QuickBooks software releases.
Process To Upgrade To The Newest QuickBooks Desktop Version
The below-mentioned steps explain how to update QuickBooks Desktop Version.
- Click on the “Latest version of QuickBooks Desktop”.
- Open the “File menu” and choose the option “restore the company” or “open”.
- Click “Company file” and then click on the “Next” option.
- Click on the “Company file” and then “Next”.
- Click on the “data file” and Open it.
- When Moving to Company File Window Pop-up, follow the provided instructions.
- Read the content in “Update Company File for New Version.” Checkboxes for signifying that you agree and understand and click “Update Now”.
Follow the instructions and make a file backup.
After updating the company file, you can open the newer QuickBooks version. Click on the option “Yes” after getting the prompt “Do you want to continue?”
Manual QuickBooks Update
- Firstly you need to close the company file and close the QuickBooks desktop.
- Give a single right-click on the QuickBooks Desktop icon as it is shown on the screen and click on the option “Run as administrator”.
- While on the “No Company Open” screen, navigate to the “Help menu” and select “Update for QuickBooks”.
- Visit the “Option” tab and select the option “mark all”.
- Choose the option “Save” now.
- Visit the “Update now” tab and choose the option “Reset Update box”.
- Now select the button “get the update”.
- After you see the option update complete message, you’ll have to close the application QuickBooks.
- Open again the option QuickBooks Desktop, when you message “install update” on the system screen.
- Click on the option “Yes”
- After completing the installation process, you can restart the system.
Quick Tip: For a payroll subscription, download the latest payroll tax table for processing payroll in the QuickBooks Desktop version.
Using Ultralight Patch ULIP – (Isn’t Compulsory)
It is a vital QuickBooks characteristic, where minor but vital repairs are sent without any limitations. Ensure that the patch release method is possible to continue as per your requirement. Also, make sure that the option vital repairs have opted for before you transfer updates.
- Here the first step would be downloading the latest release and later moving all QuickBooks and company files.
- After you’ve done it, you must scroll to the start menu in Windows and search for the desktop.
- Now after you right-click, choose the option run as admin.
- You’ll see an option no company open on the screen, here you must click on the help menu.
- Now click on the option update QuickBooks
- Also, click on the option mark all and later choose the options tab
- Click on the option update now and click on the checkbox reset update
Steps for Updating MAC Version QuickBooks Desktop to the Latest Version
Now that after knowing the steps for how to update QuickBooks Desktop Windows, here are the steps for Mac users. The users can check the current version after opening QuickBooks desktop for Mac and pressing the command +1 keys and it opens up the appropriate version.
For performing manual updates, the users would need to uninstall older ones and reinstall the update.
- After you have completed the navigation to QuickBooks product updates for reinstalling the latest version.
- The step is followed after choosing the desktop version and downloading the installer file to your PC.
- After that, you need to double-click your downloaded file and drag the QuickBooks desktop icon to the applications folder.
Note: With this process, you would get the software update, the latest release numbers are for the Mac Version of QuickBooks Desktop.
The below-stated versions are the latest releases in QuickBooks Desktop for MAC.
- QuickBooks Mac Plus 2023 R1
- QuickBooks Mac Plus 2022 R7
- QuickBooks Mac 2021 R10
- QuickBooks Mac 2020 R14
The Process For Updating QuickBooks Enterprise To The Latest Version
When you want to update the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise to the latest version, it would be best for doing it after hours or over the weekend. In such a way, you won’t face any disruption to normal working hours. With the below-provided steps, you know how to update Quickbooks desktop to the 2023 version.
Note: Before beginning, you need to check the system needs for QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
1st Step: Check whether the company file is available for update or not
Before beginning with the installation process for the latest version of QuickBooks desktop Enterprise, you need to be sure that the company doesn’t file data damage.
- You must log in to the QuickBooks software as the Admin. Your Admin account should have a password.
- Visit the menu Company, and Users and choose Edit the Admin user option.
- Here you need to take out the special characters such as “/” “&” and “/” from the company file name, and ensure that .qbw. is the extension.
- Exit and restart QuickBooks.
- Visit the menu Window, and choose the Close All option.
- Visit the File menu, and choose Utilities.
- Choose the option, Verify Data.
After doing it, you’ll see the notifications QuickBooks detected no problems with your data file. When you see another message, follow the instructions for fixing it, and also verify the data. After QuickBooks doesn’t detect any issues, it is possible to install the Enterprise version of QuickBooks.
2nd Step: Install the latest Enterprise version on the server
Before getting started, ensure that you’ve downloaded the latest QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise version.
- Close all the programs that are running, including the anti-virus programs.
- Double-click the downloaded Enterprise files
- Choose the Server Install, and choose Database Server and QuickBooks Application.
- When you’ve installed it for a server only, the better option would be to install an update over the previous version. You can instead use the entire program.
- When you have the full program with QuickBooks Database Manager on the computer, then it is possible to install it over previous versions. Then it is possible to have both versions. A Single Database manager runs services for single or multiple installed versions.
- Users must follow the prompts provided on the screen until the installation process is completed. When you get an error message while installing and rebooting the system, you can try the option to install it again.
- Open the company file in new QuickBooks versions.
- Sign in like the Admin. QuickBooks backs up the files before you update them. After updating company files, you’ll open it.
- (Optional) After successfully installing the newer version, you can uninstall older QuickBooks versions from the server, with any database managers.
For this purpose;
- Click no the button Windows Start
- Choose the Settings option. Later choose the option Control Panel.
- Choose the option Add or Remove Programs.
- Search and locate the older QuickBooks version file, and click on the option Uninstall/Change and follow prompts provided on screen.
3rd Step: Configure the server and network settings
Here is how you can set up the network for working with QuickBooks in a multi-user environment.
- Choose the Windows Start button, and choose the option Programs.
- Select the option QuickBooks and click on the button QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Select and click on the button Scan Folders.
- Here users must add the folder where they’ve stored the company file.
- After you scan the folder, you’ll see the company file at the window bottom.
- Now you should Close the Database Server Manager.
4th Step: Install the latest Enterprise Version On All Workstations
The process requires you to have the latest version of the QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise.
Uninstall previous QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Versions
Before you start with the QuickBooks enterprise, you need to ensure all the workstations use the same version. When a workstation uses an older Enterprise version, it won’t be possible to open the company file after it updates.
The process for uninstalling older Enterprise versions from all the workstations:
- Choose the Windows Start button, and choose Settings.
- Choose the Control Panel, and Add or Remove Programs.
- Locate older versions of QuickBooks and choose the option Uninstall/change and follow onscreen prompts.
Download latest QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Version
When you didn’t already download the latest QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise version on the workstation.
- Install latest QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Version For Workstations
- Close all the running programs, including the anti-virus programs.
- Double-click on the downloaded Enterprise file.
- Choose the server install, and select the option Database Server and QuickBooks Application.
- Choose the option Express. When you choose to Select the Custom and Network, make sure to choose I’ll be using QuickBooks on this computer, but the company file is on another system.
- Follow onscreen prompts until you’ve finished the installation process.
- Open the company file in the new QuickBooks version.
- As an admin, you can Sign in. QuickBooks backs up the file before you update the same. It opens after the company file has been updated.
All the aforementioned steps are handy to upgrade to the latest QuickBooks version for enterprise and all versions. However, before you start using the latest version it is best to know how to get started with QuickBooks desktop.
The explained processes in the article allow users to update their QuickBooks desktop to the current release. Also, we hope that through the latest features and updates, it is possible to make the best of QB accounting software and meet the business objectives. Users are allowed to update QuickBooks Desktop manually or automatically. Upon turning on automatic updates, QuickBooks downloads and installs the latest updates when they’re available. When you’re thinking of updating the software yourself, you must make sure to check for updates at least once per month.