QuickBooks has gained a reputation of being one of the most used accounting software in organizations of all sizes and types. However, like most software QuickBooks can unexpectedly show an error. Sometimes such errors can cause disruption in daily work. Let’s look at why the QuickBooks Desktop crashing issue occurs in the first place and what things can be done to get efficient fixes.
QuickBooks is a great software with many handy functions for small and large corporations. Some glitches/bugs can result in shutting down QuickBooks. Users can face sudden QuickBooks closing (closing while showing unrecoverable errors, unexpected stop in work or with or without errors) while you work. With such impacts you might suffer from loss of critical files and data. Sometimes users might face a message showing “Com Error”. However, the good news is that fortunately there are various solutions for the same. It is possible to follow the blog on Crash Com Error in QuickBooks to get an answer.
Understanding Keep Closing Error of QuickBooks
Most users can report the QuickBooks keep closing errors while they’re launching or working on an application. Users can draft an invoice, email bills, sales contract, etc. The problem might erupt whenever and it can interrupt the work of a user.
Automatic shutdown in QuickBooks mostly results in data loss due to the unsaved changes. This becomes quite daunting as they’re unable to perform any work. Although once or twice it is possible to tolerate such situations, facing it regularly can point towards a more serious concern. Therefore, it is vital to analyze the error causing issue and effectively fix it.
Situations Where QuickBooks Can Randomly Shut Down
While working randomly on the sales orders or invoices, QuickBooks might close without providing any prior warning. Thus, as a preventive measure you need to be sure that you’ve closed the current report or your first invoice before proceeding on with the next one. QuickBooks easily handles some reports simultaneously, but on opening many, it can struggle to efficiently function. In the following scenarios QuickBooks can suddenly shut down:
- With a higher workload of various reports that simultaneously operate, QuickBooks can close without showing any prior warning notification.
- Users can sometimes see their QuickBooks closing while they’re mailing a huge report.
- The errors can also appear while you’re working with various centers or reports.
Such mentioned tasks can result in Unexpected closing of QuickBooks. Thus, you should work with preventive measures after you perform such tasks.
On Closing QuickBooks Because of such Tasks, it is possible to see the following errors:
- Less working of QuickBooks
- QuickBooks might Disappear without showing any Errors.
- Getting random codes due to Unrecoverable errors)
Main Reasons For Automatic Shutdown of QuickBooks
While the mentioned instances can prompt users with error codes, the following points can point out other reasons for the QuickBooks Desktop crashing issue.
Sometimes you might think how the company name relates with QuickBooks closing. Turns out, when the company name exceeds specified character limit or does not adhere to standards, it can cause a close.
Problems with QBWUSER.ini File
A missing or damaged QBWUSER.ini file is among the primary reasons for sudden unexpected QuickBooks shutdown.
Having Hard Drive Troubles
Whenever users face a problem in their system’s harddrive, QuickBooks shuts down after logging.
File Installation Problems
Missing or damaged QuickBooks components, improper or unfinished installation, and corrupt program files can result in QuickBooks randomly shutting down.
Outdated and Damaged OS
When you don’t update the operating system to the recent version, or if there is any damage, it results in such an error.
Older QuickBooks Version
For Windows operating systems, QuickBooks must also get updated regularly. Not doing so triggers “QuickBooks shut down after login, or the QuickBooks can open and it immediately closes”.
Methods To Fix QuickBooks Crashes in Windows 7, 8, 10 and 11
For fixing QuickBooks Desktop crashing issue, you need to find the right working method. Some of these methods might work only under certain circumstances for overcoming the constant QuickBooks crashing problem you must follow the methods in detail:
First Method: Disable/Remove The Antivirus Software
You often notice third-party software or applications for fixing the QuickBooks Desktop crashing issue. All types of programs are set up for checking time to time updates to facilitate seamless working of the program and make it free of any bugs. Likewise, QuickBooks can also release any updates for coping with business needs. By any chance such patch releases are also blocked or treated like malware by the antivirus program, they are deleted before you apply them. Due to this reason it is best to disable any third-party programs on installing a third-party program.
Second Method: Turning Off Windows Firewall For Fixing QuickBooks 2023 When It Crashes
With the below mentioned steps when you would successfully disable windows firewall and also remove the QuickBooks 2022 it crashes out from the system.
Open the search bar after pressing the window key from the keyboard or click on the search bar from your task manager.
- Now type windows firewall. Then go to settings.
- Here, on your left pane, you’ll notice the option Turn Windows Firewall on or off. Click on this option.
- Now you must disable windows firewall and ensure it is kept disabled for public and private networks.
- Confirm, select and restart PC. Now again run QuickBooks and notice whether it would crash or not.
Important Note: Enable your firewall after launching QuickBooks program without any problems. As it is dangerous to disable the firewall, using any third-party malware negatively affects the OS and might completely damage it.
Third Method: Use Tool Hub Utility For Fixing QuickBooks Crashing Error
1st Step: Quick Fix the File For Removing QuickBooks Crash On The Startup
- As the “Administrator” opens the Intuit Tool Hub.
- As the next step, select the option “company file issues” tab.
- In the option “Company File issues”, Select the Run “Quick Fix my File program”.
- Check and verify whether the QuickBooks is seamlessly working or not.
2nd Step: Run Quick Fix My Program
- For running the Quick Fix program open the tool hub.
- Next, choose the tab “program problems”.
- After completing the previous step, click the button ‘Run Quick Fix my program’.
3rd Step: From the Tool Hub use the tool File Dr.
Still when the QuickBooks Desktop crashing issue problem persists even after using the option Quick fix my file and program, So as the third step it is best to use QuickBooks File Doctor program. With the following instructions you can fix the issue.
- As an administrator user you can begin the QuickBooks Tool Hub program.
- Now click on the tab (company file issues).
- In the tab Company File issues, Click on the button (Run QuickBooks File Doctor)
- Click on the option “ok”, when you notice a message prompt “File Doctor will take a minute or two for opening, also wait till the File Doctor automatically launches.”
- Right after File Doctor completely opens up, you’ll notice three options namely Repair Network, Repair Company File and Repair Both.
Important Note: For multi-user mode users who are facing QuickBooks crashing issues, it is best to go for the option repair Company file and Network.
At last, make sure to check whether the QuickBooks crash problem has been resolved or not.
Fourth Method. Update the time and date settings for fixing QuickBooks crashing
Sometimes having a wrong date/time setting can be troublesome while opening and running heavy software such as QuickBooks. Fixing the date and time can be a temporary or a permanent fix (depending on the issue you’re facing).
- The first step is to right-click on the date/time from the taskbar and choose the adjusted time/date for opening the file.
- Ensure that you haven’t set a random time zone.
- Click the option change settings, under the tab internet time.
- Now you’ll notice the Synchronization of the Internet time server box. If you see it as checked, uncheck it, and click on the option OK.
- Choose the time and date according to the country and click the button OK.
- Return to the internet time tab and click on the option change settings.
- Finally, check the option Synchronize with an Internet time server box and click the button update now.
Such simple things can cost a lot of time as it is unnoticed and also hampers any updates that QuickBooks can get.
Fifth Method: Run the system file checker scan or deployment image servicing and management
- Firstly, open the start menu and choose the cmd into the search bar and open the command prompt.
- Now run the command prompt as an administrator for providing it total control.
- The type in the command SFC/scannow right after typing C:\\windows\\system32>.
- Now wait till you finish the scan process and check whether the QuickBooks is still freezing or crashing.
- Move back to the steps 1 and 2 and follow the same again.
Type commands one after the other:
- DISM/Online/ Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /restorehealth
Ensure that any of the commands that you mentioned earlier aren’t continuously executed. Rather you must wait for the single command to finish the task. Now you can restart the system and check whether the Quickbooks crash error has been fixed or not.
Sixth Method: Make a new user and check whether the QuickBooks Is Crashing Or Not
- Visit the Start Menu in windows, then you should also navigate to Settings and Account.
- There you need to choose the users menu Family and others.
- Now visit the Add other user and next choose Add account.
- Next you must select the option ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information’, ‘Add a user without a Microsoft account’. Move to the next page afterwards.
- For finishing the process enter a username and password and click the Next button.
- You can switch to this user now to know whether the QuickBooks error has been resolved or not.
Seventh Method: Disable the fast startup and fix QuickBooks Closes Unexpectedly
- Open the control panel and click on the power options seen on the settings window of the computer.
- From the left pane choose the option “Choose what the power buttons do”.
- If you can’t use the button “Shutdown settings” then click on “Change the currently unavailable settings”.
- Finally, you can uncheck the option “Turn on fast startup (recommended)”, choose the changes, and restart the PC. See whether QuickBooks still crashes or not.
Eighth Method: Uninstall windows patch release for fixing QuickBooks Crash Issue
- Press the Windows Key on your keyboard which would open up the start menu on Windows
- Inside the search bar you must type the settings for opening the settings app.
- Now from the left pane choose the option windows update.
- Under the tab you’ll see the ‘Update history’, click on it.
- Now you’ll see all the installed updates yet.
Here you need to search for the option ‘Uninstall updates’ and choose the option latest update patch for uninstalling it from the system. Don’t worry as it would be safe for doing it and won’t erase any data.
Restart the PC and check whether the QBDT works fine or it is still crashing.
Ninth Method: Clean Boot To Fix QuickBooks Crash
With the process, you’ll get rid of 3rd party applications that cause interference with the QuickBooks version you’re using. Sometimes it might also remove the program, that’s why it is suggested to take company file backup before you go through the below mentioned process.
- Firstly, users should open the dialog box after pressing “Windows key + R” and type MSConfig the search.
- You’ll be forwarded to the general tab after opening the System Configuration Utility box.
- Inside the general tab, you must ensure that load setup and load system service have been checked and click the option selective startup mode.
- Click the tab “services”.
- Beforehand make sure to check the option “Microsoft Services”.
- Now click on the option disable all and also move to the tab startup and click for opening task manager. It also opens a new window where you’ll see all the startup applications.
- Further, you’ll need to move and disable applications that you’re not currently using.
- Click on the option OK and Apply and close configuration.
- Finally, restart the computer system and check whether the issue is persistent or not.
Tenth Method: Restore the system to a starting point for removing QuickBooks Crash
- Open the run window after pressing the “Windows key + R’ and on the search bar type rstui.exe and press the enter key.
- A system restore window now pops right in front of you.
- Choose the date, restore point, and time according to your requirement.
- Choose it and click no next for finishing it.
For troubleshooting the QuickBooks crash issue you can try any of the above methods and choosing the method would depend on the cause of the QuickBooks Desktop crashing issue. Too many QuickBooks users have fixed crashing or shutting down problems with the aforementioned approach. However, if despite everything you try, if the problem doesn’t resolve then your best bet would be getting in touch with a professional from Intuit for step by step guidance.